Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cleaning Basset Ears
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:54 pm 
IP:

Can anyone tell me what I need to clean out his ears. He stinks really bad and I think its caused by whatever is wrong with his ears.

This is one of his ears, hopefuly you can see the image ok....very hard to take a picture of his ear since they are sore and he is slick like a snake lol.

He scratches at them a lot and one of them is bleeding a bit. Almost looksl ike mites but then kinda does not.

Any opinions?

Anyone know a good product to use to clean the ears out, a regular maintenance maybe?

Thanks a lot!!

Sam
(and Billy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:36 am 
IP:
Site Admin

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).

Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.

All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.

Even despite the alcohol, dogs don't object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid soothes the ear & the Gentian Violet is an anti-infection agent. This solution is also effective for the treatment of fungus type infections on the dog including hot spots.

Avoid getting in eyes.

You can buy the potion already mixed Here:
http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/product ... goryid=150

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:13 am 
IP:

I have been told that the blue power solution works really good for some dogs but I usually just get the Oti Calm from my vet for weekly cleanings with Yogi. I have found that if I clean his ears every week, usually once or twice a week that Yogi doesn't have problems with his ears.
Thanks for posting that link.

Post subject: Re: Poor Billy's ears!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm 
IP:

As a preventative to clean out ears on a regular basis I use non-scented baby wipes

Our girls love them and they are great for keeping their ears clean, we use a solution occasionally to make sure the ears stay clean deep inside

The baby wipes get all that nasty wax off as it works out of the ears - helps keep my house clean too!

Post subject: Re: Poor Billy's ears!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 am 
IP:

I just got a puppy and his ears were horrible. He stunk and stuck up anything he laid on . I was using baby wipes but it wasnt addressing the smell deep in the ear. I mixed the first solution and it is amazing. He doesnt like the alcohol smell, but we dont like the ear smell so we win....lol After they are healed, I also use a dropper of frontline spray in each ear for earmites. Two treatments 10 days apart. I know it sounds strange but its better than the daily ear treatment. I also use it in my ferrets ears and noone has ever gotten sick or had a reaction

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:10 pm 
IP:

I use the Alcohol, Vinegar, Boric Acid and Betadyne solution to clean my dogs ears. I have been doing dogs ears weekly but I have had some people say I should clean more often with a Basset. What works for you guys to keep them free of infection?

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Basset Ears
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:28 pm 
IP:

Fred's ears are pretty gross too. We were told to try an equal mixture of white vinegar and water. That did nothing but make her ears stink like vinegar to high heaven. We have since purchased a bottle of ear cleaning stuff from the vet to use twice weekly and we use baby wipes too (as was previously mentioned) Her ears are looking better but still not as smell free as we had hoped, hopefully after the ears get another wash.

I first would take your baby to the vet and let them get a proper diagnosis on her ear issues.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 pm 
IP:

MJJean wrote:
I use the Alcohol, Vinegar, Boric Acid and Betadyne solution to clean my dogs ears. I have been doing dogs ears weekly but I have had some people say I should clean more often with a Basset. What works for you guys to keep them free of infection?

We do ours at least once a week, usually twice, both with solution and wipes.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Basset Ears
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 pm 
IP:

we're actually going to try mixing up this mixture but we got witch hazel. I've got the boric acid powder and venetian violet special ordered so should be in tomorrow. This mixture is a lot more cost effective than the stuff we're getting at the vets.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com