Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Food???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:19 pm 
IP:

I am getting my first Basset tomorrow and was wondering what food I should get? Any suggestions would be great. Also was wondering what kind of toys and stuff. Basically what should I do as a "starter kit" for Charlie?

Thanks
Derek

Post subject: What to feed my pup.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 pm 
IP:

I have a five month old basset who looks too skinny to me. He is my first basset so I don't know if this is normal for a puppy. He usually eats well but doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. What is the best food to feed him? Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:04 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

Any dog being fed a good food and portions can still become skinny ---- if the dog has worms.

It would be a good idea to have him tested to make sure he is worm free and go from there.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:59 pm 
IP:

He has been given all of the dewormer that I was told he needed and the vet said that he doesn't have any worms. I am currently feeding him Purina Healthy Puppy Formula and was wondering if that is a good brand to feed him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:08 am 
IP:

I would try giving him a little extra food and see what happens. If he has been checked for worms, he is normally active, and doesnt show any other signs of being sick I would just say he is going to be lean dog until he matures. As far as the food, that should be an OK food for him. You may try switching him up to a puppy food with a higher calorie ratio. Just remember when it comes to dog food, a higher price tag doesnt always mean a better food. Check out the ingredients.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 am 
IP:

K then what would be the suggested brand of both puppy and dog food for our bassets?? I mean if I were to go into a pet food place to buy a dry dog food or dry puppy food what are the best name brands??

Derek & Charlie

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:44 pm 
IP:

Unfortunely, from what I have seen there isnt a particular GOOD or BAD brand anymore. Each brand has different formulas and some of them are good and some are bad, and even the good ones keep changing the formulas around. Alos, being in Canada I'm not sure what is offered there compared to here. The best advice I can offer on this subject is read the ingredients. The first ingredients is the bulk of the food, the second ingredient is the next and so on. Remember, dogs are carnivores, they need meat. Dont be fooled by whole grains and vegtables. They do little to nothing for a canaine. Look for whole meats (Beef, Chickn, Lamb, Etc.) not the meat meals or meat by products. These foods will tend to be more expensive because using real meats they cost more to make, but to me that is better then an expensive food just because it is a certain brand name with mediocre ingredients. Hope this helps.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:53 pm 
IP:

Everyone has made good points, the only other recomendation would be to start the pup on "Pet Tabs" it is a supplement available at most pet food staores, as well as major chains who carry dog food. I have always used these with all our pups, and it seem to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:25 pm 
IP:

My basset does very well on Natural Balance Dog Food. She is the perfect size not to small and not to fat (I'll have to try to upload a picture). Natural Balance Dog Food does not contain soy, corn, wheat, eggs, polished rice or dairy products, artificial preservative, flavors or colors and its packed full of vitamins. So maybe your puppy is just lacking something in its diet and that is the reason she is so small.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Food???
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:39 pm 
IP:

I'd be interested in knowing the same things as we are adopting an 8week old Basset puppy in a couple of weeks.

Post subject: Re: What to feed my pup.
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 pm 
IP:

For what it's worth, I feed my basset and my golden FROMM dog food. It's been a good food for them. It's available at Global Pet stores. I've tried many many foods but this one seems to be best. My golden has sensitive skin and she does well on this food. Hope you find one that you, and your dog like! There are so many choices!! Best to read the ingredients on the back or side of the bag. Maybe a basset breeder could advise you.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:52 pm 
IP:

You should look at the first two ingredients of the dog food you are feeding your puppy,the one i use is the best that i have found.It has what you should look for in the food you buy,the first is deboned chicken secound is deboned whitefish.I can go on what eles is in their but i had just thrown away the bag of food, need more food.As soon as i get another bag i can post more on whats in it.the dog food is called Wellness has a pic of the the sun / moon their is no meat by products, no wheat, no corn, no artificial flavers,perservatives,or colors.But their are two puppy food types to choose from you have to get puppy large breed,you can also go to www.omhpet.com for more info

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 am 
IP:

I like Natural Balance Grain Free kibble for my basset. A lot of times skin allergies can come from grain allergies, and my Charlie has really sensitive skin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 am 
IP:

Most of the big brand names, while not bad for a dog are not really that good either. Like was said read the ingredients and if the first two or three do not have a good meat protein they aren't that good.

here is a website that reviews dog foods, http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ they recommend not feeding your dog any thing that is not at least rated 4 stars by them. A lot of big brand names (including IAMs and Science Diet) are rated 1 star. I feed my dogs Kirkland brand dog food and it is rated 3 stars.

We also supplement by sharing our food with them.. But not the scraps, only good pieces of meat and veggies that we would eat. Of course you need to know what they are not suppose to have..

No grapes, little or no onions, not too much garlic, no macadamia nuts, no chocolate or any thing with caffeine. (actually white chocolate is not bad for them) That is all I can think of off the top of my head.. do a search on Google, and read several websites as some don't always know what they are talking about. I have seen site that say all nuts are bad for dogs, which is just not true.

There is also a debate as to whether or not to feed puppy food. Bassets are a large breed, (bassets have the largest bone structure for their size of any dog) even though they are not really large. It has to do with their bone density and size. Large breed dogs take longer to mature because of the time it takes bones to grow, and feeding them extra calories, like is necessary for many smaller breeds can cause them to grow too fast and have bone and joint problems.

That is why there are large breed puppy foods, they have less calories,, but the debate is that adult food is about the same as large breed puppy food so why bother with puppy food. And that feeding a large breed puppy with adult food will not stunt their growth, they will still be the same size but will take longer to reach full size (maybe up to 24 months) but that is good for dogs with heavy bone structures like bassets. So we have started switching to adult food already.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:48 pm 
IP:

we were feeding burns puppy food but because our pup seems to not tolerate it we are going to start mixing it with taste of the wild high prairie formula. that is a grain free all life stages formula. I am also worried about the whole puppy or large breed puppy food debate and decided to just put her on an all life stages food and be done. Maybe try looking at orijen it's pricey here but grain free and high protien.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com