Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:49 pm 
IP:

My basset is about 15 months old and I just took him in for his yearly visit to the vet. He has not been in since last May (at the time he weighed about 38 lbs). I mentioned that i thought he was a bit skinny but I didn't think it was an issue. He now weighs just under 50 lbs and he is a decent sized basset and he is all muscle. you can't see his ribs but when you pet him you can feel them. She didn't tell me how to help him gain weight except to put him on a better quality pet food. I went to the pet store and they recommended puppy food because it has more nutrients. I am nut sure if this will help though since he was on puppy food until December and he was still skinny then.
He eats at least 2 times a day and always wants people food but eats mainly dog food, both wet and dry. He is also fairly active.
Does anyone have any suggestions to help him gain weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:05 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

I think that you mentioning that he is a "fairly active" hound is the keyword........Put him on a good diet and keep him active and don't worry about putting weight on him..........you already can not see the ribs (look at pic below about not seeing ribs and feeling them).

I have a Basset that is more than active..........he's on a good diet, but his body style shows that he is active. I am sure if I let him become a couch potato, his body would style would reflect that.

KInda like you can see the difference in the bodies of humans who are active and those that are not.

Just because most Bassets we see pictured are hefty with a little extra weight doesn't mean your Basset has to look like that.

Click Pic To Enlarge

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 pm 
IP:

here here - I agree

there's too many heavy boned and large bassets around these days - supposedly big is beautiful in the basset world

Stick to what size your dog is naturally

In my opinion too much prevents them being active - i have one of each type

* One girl is big and heavy up front - she runs like a gorilla and cant keep up - but the judges love her (i think she will have joint problems when shes older because of it and wouldnt dream of breeding her)

* My other girl is lean and just right - she can run and hunt for hours straight - like a proper basset should but some judges who like big penalise her for it :(

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:38 am 
IP:

If you can feel his ribs, he's perfect. You don't want to see hip bones or shoulder blades, but if he's an active dog and he's eating well, feeling ribs is fine. (I know I'm new and not a basset person, but I find that to be true for dogs in general.)

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com