Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: new puppy help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 am 
IP:

I have a question about food for Fred. She is currently eating diamond puppy food and we plan on going through atleast 1 bag if not two of that but it's not available at our feed store. They reccomend innova evo but is that safe for a puppy? They also have eagle pack,innova, wellness and pro pac. Also should I even bother with a puppy food or just switch to all life stages? And if I stay with puppy food when do I put her on adult food?

also When we got Fred she lived outside in a barn. We are using a combination of crate training(we use that at night and when we're not home) and babygates(we gate her off from areas that have carpet when she's out). I take her out about every 15-20 minutes and she always has to go within a minute or two of being out. Is this a good method? Our vet said bassets usually are slow to housebreak, and we were worried maybe her being out in a barn she would be used to just go whenever or where ever she pleased.

also what is a good age to have her spayed? Is there pros/cons to spaying early as opposed to waiting? Our vet said he would spay no younger than 4 months.

thank you in advance we love our little baby Fred and want to make sure we are doing good for her.

Post subject: Re: new puppy help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 am 
IP:
Site Admin

fred'smom wrote:
I have a question about food for Fred. She is currently eating diamond puppy food and we plan on going through atleast 1 bag if not two of that but it's not available at our feed store. They reccomend innova evo but is that safe for a puppy? They also have eagle pack,innova, wellness and pro pac. Also should I even bother with a puppy food or just switch to all life stages? And if I stay with puppy food when do I put her on adult food?

I'd keep her on a good puppy food designed for a growing puppy. Unless the pup has condition such as hip dysplasia where the protein levels and diet of puppy food would be too much on the growing bones of a hip dysplasia dog (9 weeks to early to know hip dysplasia), then stay on a good puppy food. When you take your pup back in for next shot, discuss puppy food with him/her.

fred'smom wrote:
also When we got Fred she lived outside in a barn. We are using a combination of crate training(we use that at night and when we're not home) and babygates(we gate her off from areas that have carpet when she's out). I take her out about every 15-20 minutes and she always has to go within a minute or two of being out. Is this a good method? Our vet said bassets usually are slow to housebreak, and we were worried maybe her being out in a barn she would be used to just go whenever or where ever she pleased.
At 9 weeks your puppy is not set in it's way like a 1 year old Basset would be - so don't worry about her being in a barn when yall got her.. Puppies of all breeds do not have the bladder control of older dogs, so as they age the control will develop.

fred'smom wrote:
also what is a good age to have her spayed? Is there pros/cons to spaying early as opposed to waiting? Our vet said he would spay no younger than 4 months.
The earlier you spay, you reduce the chance of cancer. The Vets have a percentage chart on it. A dog spayed before her first heat has a 0.5% risk of developing breast tumors later in life. A dog spayed between her first and second heat has an 8% risk of developing breasts tumors. A dog spayed after her second heat has a 26% chance of developing breast tumors, which is the same as a dog who is not spayed.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
IP:

From my research I have found a few things that are a bit contrary to popular belief when dealing with bassets..

One is the need for puppy food. Bassets have the heaviest bone structure for their size of any dog and should be considered a large breed dog. Large breed dogs including bassets, take longer to become fully grown than small dogs. Often as long as two full years. Because of this with large breed dogs it is often recommended to not use puppy food as it is higher in protein and calories than are really needed for large breed dogs and can make them grow too fast.

As far as having your basset fixed, a study in 1991 found that bitches spayed at 7 weeks were significantly taller than those spayed at 7 months, and that those spayed at at 7 months had significantly delayed closure of the growth plates than those not spayed (or presumably spayed after the growth plates had closed). The sex hormones close the growth plates, so the bones of dogs or bitches neutered or spayed before puberty continue to grow. This growth frequently results in a dog that does not have the same body proportions as he/she was genetically meant to be. In taller dogs it is not as noticeable or detrimental.

Having them spayed before the first heat cycle is a good thing but it is very rare a female will come into heat before 6 months so right at 6 months is a good time for spaying for bassets.
For male neutering between 9 and 11 months for bassets or any shorter legged breed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
IP:

thank you for the advice. Our vet swears by science diet but that is all he sells. I didn't realize bassets are large breed. I knew that got heavy and asked the breeder if she should be on a large breed puppy formula and he said no. So I should be feeding large breed puppy food? Diamond has a LB puppy formula but we are planning on transitioning her to something else next bag anyways. I think we thinking about innova.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:28 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

Vet's recommend SD as that is what most sell in the USA in their practices. LOL, I haven't yet been to a vet that did not recommend SD on their shelves.

As far as feeding Large Breed for your Basset, you'll get varying opinions from owners to breeders to Vets.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm 
IP:

my Minnie is coming 6 months old, she's on puppy food (Oscars) and will continue on it until she's 9-10 months old, then we'll switch her to junior for a few months, then onto adult (Vitalin special bitch).

Our vet always recommends our girls to get speyed (if not breeding) 3 months after the 1st season so that the bones can properly form and reduce the risk of bone deformaties.

where abouts are you from? if the UK i can recommend a few good basset brands

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:14 pm 
IP:

Science diet it terrible, no better than the cheapest grocery store brand. IAMs is not much better. Eukanuba is fair.. as is Diamond.. The really top quality foods like Blue Buffalo, Artemis, Innova, and Orijen are out of my price range. I use Kirkland discount brand from Costco, it is made for them by Diamond. They do not have a large breed food, but if you look at the ingredients, protein and calorie content you will find it about the same as a large breed puppy food. I have used this since they were 12 weeks old, now almost 8 months and doing fine.

If you want to go with a better large breed puppy food there is Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul. www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/ ... y_formula/ it is a bit higher quality and not too expensive made to the companies specs for them by Diamond.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:35 am 
IP:

In UK, the best foods are as hig4s said ,Orijen and also Arden Grange, Royal Canine, Burn's, JWB, Oscars and Wainswright.

Please avoid Bakers & Pedigree!

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com