Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:30 pm 
IP:

I have an 11 year old hound that has had some medical problems in the last couple years, such as spine surgery and Hip Dysplasia and a few minor problems.

In the last couple months we’ve had a few new issues arise. About two months ago we had blood work done on her in preparation of her dental surgery she was going to have. The blood was only done as a preventative because she’s 11 and having surgery – she had no signs of anything being wrong at the time it was taken. The blood came back with high level in the liver so we started her on antibiotics to bring it under control. After a couple weeks on them we re-took the blood – number was still higher than normal but they didn’t think it was too high to proceed with the dental surgery since the condition of her teeth could have been the cause of the increased level. She’s always had bad teeth. Poor girl.

Anyway, fast forward I think about a month, and late at night we noticed that she was having a hard time lifting her head off the ground and she was moving even slower than normal. Considering that we refer to her as the sloth – she was hardly able to move and her head wasn’t an inch off the ground. So we ran her over to the vet. They started to do a neurological examination but because of the pain they could see she was in they couldn’t or wouldn’t do much. Because it was so late (by then it was almost midnight) there was no one at the vet to do an MRI. I even called the Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove where she had her spinal surgery – no one there either at that time of night – they just said they could make her comfortable till morning when someone was in to do the MRI. So… We decided that she would be most comfortable at home with meds to keep her still and I would bring her to the Veterinary Specialty Center first thing in the morning since they already had a MRI of her for history.

Long story short – her spinal disease has moved up to her neck but because of where it’s located there is 1.) No guarantee on this surgery like there was on the first one she had and… 2.) Because of the location they would have to go in through the throat and with all the nerves she could have a lot of complications. Our only other option is to pray that she takes to the medicine – after three weeks it appears that she is doing well as to her neck – she’s on almost complete puppy bed rest – we carry her up and down the stairs at night and in the am – any only goes out to do her business. Or just to get her afternoon sun bath -
Now on to our current problem. – I’m not exactly sure when it started but to say that it was after the neck problem because she had three different vets checking over every inch of her body and there we’re no enlarged parts anywhere on her.

Friday May 27th – six days ago – I was sitting at the table and looked down at her and saw the right side of her neck was extremely enlarged, and when I felt it – it felt like a tennis ball size – I immediately called her vet and got her right in. When we we’re doing the examination of her we noticed that her right back side was also extremely enlarged. I’ve been so busy looking to see if she’s able to keep her head off the ground that I can’t remember the last time I looked at her back end “cute as it is” – I’m just noting this to say – we have no idea what came first – the back end of the throat.

Samples were taken from both parts – back end was “fatty” the throat pocket was full of a pink puss – my vet was at a loss – never seen anything like it. She took blood and sent it out with the samples she was able to draw and we put her on antibiotics to hold her over the holiday weekend till the results got back. The next day it appeared that the one on the throat was larger so Saturday night I ran her over to the Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove where she had been just a few weeks ago and where she had her back surgery – she also took samples – the back was still a fatty substance but now the pocket on her throat was no longer puss – but fatty. No one there had seen anything like this either. I told them the plan that was in place and the results we were waiting to get back – she just recommended that I get the planed scan and X-ray’s on Tuesday – she felt Flash would be fine until then.
Tuesday has come and gone – she had the scans – and X-Rays’ – and most of the samples have come back. The only thing they could tell is she’s had a fractured rib at one time – and she now also has hip dysplasia. Oh, and they were able to rule out lymphoma – but not cancer altogether. Also her liver count is own over 800.

They took more blood and urine are now looking for a mycobacterial infection in her – I’m at a total loss – my brain is mush – and I’m totally drained – has anyone heard or seen anything that is remotely like this? They said that after the antibiotics are gone and she still has the enlarged parts – they would take larger samples of both and a sample of her liver for more testing.

Any help that anyone can give would I would be extremely grateful
Jennifer

I only have the photos of her back end – when hubby gets home I’ll try and get the neck view – too hard to do alone with the ears and hanging skin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 pm 
IP:

:( I'm just now reading this and was curious to the outcome. How did she ever get? Is she doing better? Did you ever find out what the lumps were?

Profile  WWW

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com