Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm 
IP:

For the last couple days, Rossi has been shivering and has been eating about half of the amount he usually does. He threw up once a few days ago, but that was it, so I did not think much of it. His nose is still nice and wet. He doesn't seem to have any pain as I have palpated, poked, and prodded him everywhere on several occasions. The shivering does seem to stop when he is covered up, but it starts again immediately after leaving the blanket. I have been keeping it 75 degrees Fahrenheit in my house, and obviously that isn't helping the shivering. I haven't been able to catch him during a bowel movement, so I don't know if the stool is formed or not.

Is the shivering and lack of appetite enough to warrant a vet visit as soon as possible, or should I give it another couple of days?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm 
IP:

Rossi wrote:
For the last couple days, Rossi has been shivering and has been eating about half of the amount he usually does. He threw up once a few days ago, but that was it, so I did not think much of it. His nose is still nice and wet. He doesn't seem to have any pain as I have palpated, poked, and prodded him everywhere on several occasions. The shivering does seem to stop when he is covered up, but it starts again immediately after leaving the blanket. I have been keeping it 75 degrees Fahrenheit in my house, and obviously that isn't helping the shivering. I haven't been able to catch him during a bowel movement, so I don't know if the stool is formed or not.

Is the shivering and lack of appetite enough to warrant a vet visit as soon as possible, or should I give it another couple of days?

Have you taken his temperature. should be 100 to 102.5 F. Bassets can often be very sick and not show much outward sign. If it has not cleared I would consider the Vet before the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:44 pm 
IP:

The shivering has stopped and he is now eating full meals...He's also back to begging :roll: I'll still keep an eye on him, just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:02 am 
IP:

Just curious......has it been raining and storming in your neck of the woods lately? It sounds like the very same thing that my Ricky does, at the first sign of a storm. Throw in a bucket of drool, and you have described Ricky's storm freakouts.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:15 pm 
IP:

I never even thought about that, but it had been nice for a week or so, and when it started raining nonstop is when he stopped having those symptoms. I'm going to have to keep a closer eye out on it and see if there is any correlation. Thanks!

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com