Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:39 am 
IP:

Our dog has become totally resistant to getting into her kennel in the evening when we want her to go in so we can go to bed. We have tried everything we can think of, including bribing her with treats, speaking sternly, and being gentle. We do not want her to sleep in our bed. Please help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:01 pm 
IP:

Well, when food doesn't work, the only thing that I can suggest is brute force! I've got some who will slowly lurk into their kennels, looking like I've just beaten them.....then others who have to have a treat thrown to the back and me quickly shutting the door behind them. Some have to have more tastier food, like human food, for motivation. Then there's Ricky.....the exception to all the rules. Brute force! I have to chase him down, because he knows what's coming, pack him to the crate, place him in the crate, give his butt a good shove because he's trying to let it hang out the door and shut the door before he can bulldoze his way out. :D

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:30 pm 
IP:

roommate wrote:
Our dog has become totally resistant to getting into her kennel in the evening when we want her to go in so we can go to bed. We have tried everything we can think of, including bribing her with treats, speaking sternly, and being gentle. We do not want her to sleep in our bed. Please help.

Not just sure what your situation is, but does she really need to be in a kennel? Our first basset we just left out once she was fully house broken, and never had a problem, but we do close our bedroom door.

Our current bassets(Mercedes and Zatarra), who we got from Angie at Appalachian Basset Hounds (the reply before this one) we use a gate and put them in the front bedroom hallway, we just close the bedroom and bathroom doors. They seem pretty happy with this as it is much bigger, and we put down a blanket and throw in some of their toys. During the day we leave it open and they slowly migrate their toys back to the living room.
Actually we could leave Mercedes out and she would just sleep on the front sofa, but if we leave Zatarra out he whines at our bedroom door all night. He is such a needy thing.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com