Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stopping Barking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 pm 
IP:

I have two 3 yr old females. Fergie we got at 8 weeks of age. she has never been a barking problem until...we got Daisy. We got Daisy from a rescue she was 3 when we got her. She has adapted well and fit right in. The one exception is she is a barker, mainly n the house. Now Fergie has started barking as well, mainly out doors.

To top it off we have new neighbor who moved in behind us, they constructed a privacy fence and have a German Shepard who is a barker. Well this will set off Fergie. Now getting some complaints from 1 neighbor. He has called animal control twice, both times they inspect and say it is unsubstantiated.

Long story short it would be nice to curtail the noise. Any ideas? I have been looking at remote controlled shock collars. I have seen the bark collars malfunction and deliver a very long shock.

I have had dogs al my life and have never had this problem. Any and all adviced will be greatly welcomed.

Post subject: Re: Stopping Barking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 pm 
IP:

I ended up using a shock collar with Rocci, and it worked well. I used it as well as commands, so any time he does bark now, I can get him to stop using either a couple of quick snaps of the finger or a simple "shhhh."

The collar I had wasn't remote controlled, but had 6 settings. It would start at the lowest for the first bark and would get stronger with each shock the more he barked but would reset back to the lowest shock if no barking occurred within 15 minutes or so.

This method isn't effective for every dog as I tried it on my Boston Terrier because he would bark at the children walking to the bus stop on my street. When it shocked, he immediately would lose control of his bladder and flatten himself on the ground. After that, I never used it again with him because I felt aboslutely awful.

For a different method, there are boxes that will let off a sound every time the dog barks which only the dog can hear. They make indoor and outdoor ones. I am not sure on the effectiveness of these as I have never used one, but just do some research and read reviews on the products.

GOOD LUCK!

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com