Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unwanted Bassets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 pm 
IP:

I got my Basset, Rossi, approximately 2-3 hours away from my home town because there have simply been no Bassets in my area. In the last year or so, there has been a small boom in the Basset population, and now I am seeing Bassets in our paper for low dollar amounts or for free because "we just can't handle him" or because "he needs more time and attention."

It saddens me that these people are purchasing Basset hounds with no knowledge whatsoever of the breed and then turn around and just give them away because they are too much for them to handle. This has really made me want to try and start up a Basset rescue of some sort or at least try and educate people on the breed.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can do this? I hate to see these poor pups pushed aside like that.

Post subject: Re: Unwanted Bassets
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 pm 
IP:

First, it might help to know where you are located, I believe you have mentioned it before in posts, but I cannot find it right now and you do not list a location in you profile.

second, two bassets are always better than one,, get Rossi a buddy!!!

We have two now, and while the cost is twice what it cost to have one, it really isn't twice as much work.. They actually often entertain each other when we don't have the time to spend with them..

We actually now feel a little bad that we didn't get our previous basset a playmate.

It is sad, bassets are one of the breeds most in need of rescue for a couple of reasons.
1. Bassets are not the most obedient dog,, very loving and sweet, but they have a mind of their own and can be stubborn. Because of this they are often thought of as not very smart, far from the truth. But they are selectively smart and can have selective hearing.

2. they are so cute people will impulse buy them when they don't know anything about them, often when they are not ready for any dog, let alone a basset.

3. They have great noses and if loose will follow the nose with no regard as to where it leads them. And unlike beagles, blood hounds and many other hounds, many don't have a great sense of direction so once they have followed their nose, they might not know how to find their way home.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm 
IP:

I'm located in Eastern Washington, US. I don't have a Basset buddy for Rossi, but I do have a Boston terrier buddy for him. They are literally inseparable. I wouldn't mind having another Basset at all, though.

I definitely know that they are not dumb animals. My mom tries to tell me that the breed isn't that smart, but in reality, they are too smart for their own good!

People I meet while walking him comment that Bassets are so cute and/or cool looking. I try to always encourage research on any breed that anyone may be thinking of getting because not all dogs are the same, as quite a few people seem to think out there. I will admit, I got Rossi blindly with no knowledge whatsoever of the breed, but within the first week started doing my research. Not everyone will even consider researching, and I'd like to come up with a way to encourage more people as a whole to do this instead of telling the occasional passerby. I hate to see these sweet, innocent pups tossed aside because of ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:41 am 
IP:
Site Admin

Rossi wrote:
I got my Basset, Rossi, approximately 2-3 hours away from my home town because there have simply been no Bassets in my area. In the last year or so, there has been a small boom in the Basset population, and now I am seeing Bassets in our paper for low dollar amounts or for free because "we just can't handle him" or because "he needs more time and attention."

It saddens me that these people are purchasing Basset hounds with no knowledge whatsoever of the breed and then turn around and just give them away because they are too much for them to handle. This has really made me want to try and start up a Basset rescue of some sort or at least try and educate people on the breed.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can do this? I hate to see these poor pups pushed aside like that.

Craigslist is full of them ALL over the USA as well as newspapers..........Really not much to do as it has been an ongoing problem for many many years......hence why there so many rescues not to mention breed rescues scattered all over.

You can contact some of the Basset Rescues in your area or around your area to see if they can help (set up transports)..........most are already bursting at the seams.

Sad fact is, this will always be a never ending problem.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com