Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:34 pm 
IP:

hello all,

I have a "survey" type of question here....lol

as any of you tried to buy a coat, sweater or any type of doggie clothing for your bassets???!!!

if so, were you able to find ANYTHING that fits the awkward basset body??!!

my experience was that
1- it is never long enough to cover their back.
2- the opening for the legs are not wide enough and are often so small that I'd be afraid to cut the circulation to the legs...LOL
3- nothing protects their chest and hairless belly...mine always gets scratches from his "wild" rabbit chasing excursions on our 15 acres land :)
4- if I tried to fit the leg opening OR the neck opening then I end up with something that would fit my 110 LBS labrador!!!

Mr.Wilson gets chilly in winter time, even in the house and I think a nice fleece coat/sweater would be good for him.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about starting a little business with breed specific dog clothing, namely Bassets as I am yet to find something that fit !!!
I am not talking about frilly pinkish flowerish (Paris Hilton-ish..LOL) items here, more pratical, purpose intended clothes for bassets that owners would say" wow, I have been looking for something like that for my basset for a long time!!"

I would LOVE to get some input/feedback from you guys as to your own doggie clothes shopping for bassets :)

thanks!!

Marie G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:08 pm 
IP:

I know what you mean about finding stuff that fits basset hounds well! I do have a coat for Yogi that I got a few years ago from Drs. Foster and Smith but it doesn't cover the belly and it is a bit too long. Like you said, you have to order up sizes so that clothing fits the front half of the dog right. Those barrel chests sure make it hard! The coat has a velcro opening at the neck and across the belly so it is adjustable but the back half slides around somewhat. I do want to get him another coat. One thing I would like is a goosedown type coat, with that nice shell they have because on the fabric coat there is soooo much dog hair that never comes off no matter what I do! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 am 
IP:

thanks for your reply!! i think you understood my idea to a "T"...lol..I kept thinking "Woolrich" and "LL Bean" type of coat/sweater, not at all Juicy Couture...LOL

Maybe Yogi could be my 1st client??!!! with some measurments, I sure could sew something for him:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:23 am 
IP:

I would love to see a coat that you make for Mr. Wilson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:21 pm 
IP:

I found some really cute stuff at Gormet Dog Treats. They have a variety of sizes and the winter dog coat on the site was just long enough.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 pm 
IP:

I will have to check that site out as I have not heard of that one before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 pm 
IP:

I've had pretty good luck, but you're right. Most things aren't long enough for Bassets.
I bought a waterproof coat at Petsmart and a knit sweater at petvalu that both fit fairly well.
There are lots of patterns online with measurement calculations to make sure you get proper fit.
I'd suggest trying www.knittingpatterncentral.com for a start. I haven't actually made Rosebud anything yet, but there are lots of patterns there that I like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 pm 
IP:

Forgot to mention that the coat has the velcro thing already mentioned. I sewed in an elastic strap with a bit snap at the very back to keep it snug around her belly.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com