Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I rushed!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:03 am 
IP:

So, I desided to breed bassets. And jumped up and bought a CKC pup with just the basic knowlage of the breed.

Now that I'm more rational and have our soon to be sire. I have am wondering a few things.

He has two colored eyes. Is that bad?

I heard many different things about breeding them. I heard that they can NOT free breed? That you need to assist? But then the person who sold us our little boy says that they are really easy to do.. So, I'm wondering if I can get some opinions as to the best way to beed. Share you set ups and what not. I hope I didnt go to fast. If so... help! :!:

Post subject: Re: I rushed!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 pm 
IP:

Im not sure about the coloured eye thing - maybe as he's a pup one eye has changed from blue before the other?

Has your boy been to any shows yet? How old is he? Sit back and wait for your dog to mature before you decide to use him as a stud - campaign him at shows, be critical of him and decide for yourself if he is good to pass on the breed standard.

Bassets are slow maturing dogs so I would recommend waiting until he's 7-8 months before analysing potential - if he isnt that age already

in my experience - basset hound mating is exhausting and never quite straight forward. but other people may have had different experiences - bassets do need help though

The boys are usually 8-10kg heavier than the girls so you always need a strong pair of knees of a box for the girl to stand over for support

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:21 am 
IP:

Basset don't do natural!!!!
And the noise that comes from them when they are in TIE make you want to cry.
Its a 3 plus person job.....one to hold tightly on the bitches head, the stud owner does the manual bit (sticking it in! and holding!) another person holding the dog and sometimes a fourth person to help the dog bring his leg over.....Not the nicest experience!!!

As for the two different colour eyes.....i Would NOT touch!!! Its a SERIOUS FAULT! and can be inherited, not showable either i'm affraid.

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm 
IP:

I myself wanted to breed bassets, but after reserching all the facts...decided I was better off leaving that chore to the professionals. My Vernon's Dam had to be put down the liter after him, due to complications with the birthing...and I am not willing to go through that. Also, the whole helping them thing just wasn't for me :shock: My hat goes off to all of you breeders out there who suceed in breeding this magnificent animal, it is truly a lot of work. As for my Vern and May, they were great friends 'til the end, and I don't think they minded not having kids together...they liked my full attention.
I do have a question tho, is a ckc just as good as akc? I have never owned a ckc registered dog...I've always made sure mine were akc registered.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm 
IP:

imaslave2bassets wrote:
I do have a question tho, is a ckc just as good as akc? I have never owned a ckc registered dog...I've always made sure mine were akc registered.

Is ckc....canadian kennel club?

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 pm 
IP:

bassetsandbeyond wrote:
imaslave2bassets wrote:

If CKC refers to Continental Kennel Club, then no, it is not good. It was started for puppymills and commercial breeders that didn't want to meet AKC's minimal standards. They'll register your Guinea Pig as a Chihuahua if you can get someone to sign the right form.

Good breeders don't use it.

And any eye color other than brown is a big no no. Such a dog should not be bred.

Please go do some serious research on responsible breeding.

Start here:
http://learntobreed.com/
http://woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html
http://dogplay.com/breeding/index.html
http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/So-You-Wan ... eder.74279
http://www.21stcenturycares.org/qualbreed.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:15 pm 
IP:

Soundtrack wrote:
bassetsandbeyond wrote:
imaslave2bassets wrote:

If CKC refers to Continental Kennel Club, then no, it is not good. It was started for puppymills and commercial breeders that didn't want to meet AKC's minimal standards. They'll register your Guinea Pig as a Chihuahua if you can get someone to sign the right form.

See I knew I had read something somewhere about this continental kennel club...I'm so glad I have always gone with akc registered pups. Thanx for the info.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com