Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help in Arkansas!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 am 
IP:

My family is excited about our search for our first bassett!
Looking for info on reputable breeders in the state of Arkansas!

We have found several bassetts on the adoption sites for our area, but are unsure about going through the adoption process!

Any help you guys/gals can give will be much appreciated!

And thanks for a great site!

Post subject: Re: Help in Arkansas!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 am 
IP:

Searching on Breeders.net is a good way to start looking.
Most reputable breeders will be asking you more questions than you ask them. Hope this helps , good luck with your search.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am 
IP:

Houndworks wrote:
Searching on Breeders.net is a good way to start looking.
Most reputable breeders will be asking you more questions than you ask them. Hope this helps , good luck with your search.

Thank you Houndworks!
I'm at breeders.net as we speak!

We (my family- me, wife, & 13yr old son) have been tossing the "house dog" idea around for several weeks now!

We're torn between the basset & the English Bulldog!

If anyone wants to give us your opinions on these two breeds, as house dogs/pets (pros & cons) would be of great help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:32 pm 
IP:

We got our two babies from here.. http://www.tnbasset.com/index.html No regrets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:46 pm 
IP:

TinmanJones wrote:

We're torn between the basset & the English Bulldog!

If anyone wants to give us your opinions on these two breeds, as house dogs/pets (pros & cons) would be of great help!

I don't know anything about English Bulldogs, we are hound people. But Bassets are some of the sweetest most loving pets you can find. But they are also a bit stubborn, some people mistake this for not being very smart. Unlike many breeds they don't have the "I want to please my master" gene. They have the "I want to please myself" gene. Fortunately two of the things that please them the most is being loved on and treats, not necessarily in that order. So they are quite trainable with patience and a box of treats.

Also most of the pics you see of bassets are being lazy and sleepy. While they do not require a lot of exercise they are not really that lazy either. It is just that when they are not sleeping, they are usually too active to get a good picture of. here is a couple months ago when we first got them. www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZaJ6Inkhc&feature=channel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:46 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

hig4s wrote:
We got our two babies from here.. http://www.tnbasset.com/index.html No regrets.

Their username on here is Appalachian Basset Hounds.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:14 pm 
IP:

Staff wrote:
Their username on here is Appalachian Basset Hounds.

her actual name is Angie,, I didn't know she was on this forum until after we had put deposits on our two..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 pm 
IP:

I don't know if you are ready for a pup right now but we have 6 nine week old females that are ready for good homes. I dont know many breeders but i can say that Angie at Appalachian basset hounds has some great dogs ; 2 of our girls came from there.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:19 am 
IP:

Oh wow! Thanks for the recommendations guys! I couldn't have asked for better compliments!
I've been offline for a few months and am just now seeing your posts, or I would have thanked you sooner!
Higs, fabulous photo! They look like they're still 2 peas in a pod, best of buds. Maybe it's just the photo, but the boy looks like he's passed the girl in size.
Houndworks, I'm almost positive of who you are.....2 girls, 1 big & 1 little, went to Louisiana earlier this year. How are they? Adjusting well?

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:18 pm 
IP:

Appalachian Basset Hounds wrote:
Oh wow! Thanks for the recommendations guys! I couldn't have asked for better compliments!
I've been offline for a few months and am just now seeing your posts, or I would have thanked you sooner!
Higs, fabulous photo! They look like they're still 2 peas in a pod, best of buds. Maybe it's just the photo, but the boy looks like he's passed the girl in size.
Houndworks, I'm almost positive of who you are.....2 girls, 1 big & 1 little, went to Louisiana earlier this year. How are they? Adjusting well?

Hey Angie!
Yeah, they are inseparable. Zatara is now about 4 lbs heavier than Mercedes. It is hard to tell in the picture, but he has become very muscular in the shoulders and neck, and very lean. But when they play she is still faster than him.

I don't have many good pictures of them, for some reason they constantly lay together or sit together in great poses unless I have the camera in my hand, then they just won't sit still. They were sound asleep in a great pose the other night, so I walked in the other room to get the camera, and when I turned around they were following me. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 pm 
IP:

Hey Angie, You are right about me. The girls are great the big one has adjusted so well that she has made herself my husbands dog and is now in the house more than out of the house. She is so funny we enjoy watching her I am pretty sure she sleeps more than any dog I have ever seen (lol). The little one is so beautiful and she has the best personality she loves to play with everybody and all of the other dogs no matter how big or small. I read your post about Paula and I hope everything works well with her, it breaks my heart to think how you and she must be feeling.

Profile  WWW

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com