Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Puppy care
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 pm 
IP:

I have a quick question - how often should I feed my nine week-old basset hound puppy, and how much each time? Right now she is free feeding, and I don't want her to develop a habit of it!

Post subject: Re: Puppy care
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:22 pm 
IP:

robertcoogan wrote:
I have a quick question - how often should I feed my nine week-old basset hound puppy, and how much each time? Right now she is free feeding, and I don't want her to develop a habit of it!

There should be directions on the bag of food for amount, usually twice a day. Bassets have very heavy bone structures for their size and should considered large breed dogs for feeding purposes. Bassets need high protein, lots of calcium but not the calorie intake that small hyper breeds need. Too much calorie intake can make them overweight.

Some people will insist you need puppy food, but if you pay attention to the actual vitamins and calories on the labels you will find some adult dog foods and some large breed puppy foods are very similar.

As far as free feeding, that is how we did our current pair, and our previous basset.

Not all will take to it, but as long as they do not eat much more than the listed amount on the dog food bag for their weight they often get use to just eating what they need when they need it.

We don't allow them access to food at night when we are sleeping, but once they were fully house trained, they have been allowed free access to food and water all the rest of the time. Occasionally they will eat more than they should in a day and we don't refill for the afternoon, but mostly they know there is food when ever they want it and do not over eat. Our female is a little more prone to over eating than our male, but we even have her trained to only eat out of her bowl. If she finishes and is still hungry, she comes to us but does not eat from the male's bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:21 am 
IP:

puppies till around 6-9 months old should be fed 4 times a day

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:10 pm 
IP:

bassetsandbeyond wrote:
puppies till around 6-9 months old should be fed 4 times a day

I have never seen where any breeder or expert recommended more than 2 times a day after they are 3 months old.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com