Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:57 pm 
IP:

Hi i bought my basset hound 2 days ago , they told me at the pet store that i would have to wait about 10 days to receive my puppy!.

Can you guys tell me a little more about your experience with yours basset?? I live in an apartment I read that they would do good in an apartment.

any advice??

thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:16 pm 
IP:

victor1390 wrote:
Hi i bought my basset hound 2 days ago , they told me at the pet store that i would have to wait about 10 days to receive my puppy!.

Can you guys tell me a little more about your experience with yours basset?? I live in an apartment I read that they would do good in an apartment.

any advice??

thanks.

For hounds they do not need a lot of room or exercise, but they do need regular exercise.. Bassets in general are all about treats and attention. Positive reinforcement works way better than negative. And in our experience they are one of the sweetest breeds, but they can be stubborn, you will need patience.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:05 am 
IP:
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum.

Did you buy the pup from the pet store?

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 pm 
IP:

thanks i can't wait to get mine!!!! :D :D
I went to the store today and bought a few toys for him.

yes i bought mine from the pet store, i called more that 12 stores here in Miami and none of them have it . so i finally decide to order mine, they told me it takes about a week to get here. so by the end of this week i should get mine!!

this is my first basset , but i had always loves this breed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:35 am 
IP:

I'm glad your excited, but next time look into getting a puppy from a reputable breeder. Reputable breeders will not ship a puppy, and you can find many great breeders with great looking dogs, who you can meet before hand. A breeder will provide you with all the information you need on the breed of dog your getting and what they require. Pet stores almost always get their pups from backyard breeders or puppy mills. Good luck with your new pup!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 pm 
IP:

Hello,
Please be sure to take your new pup to a good vet and have him checked out. I baught my first basset from a pet store but never had problems - he lived 9 years which is average age. But you do have to be careful when you buy from a pet store Just take him in for an exam when you get or her and love your basset. Also make sure the store will help you if the puppy is or gets sick (find out there policy) I think you will get a healthy basset - OH by the way see if they can telll you where he or she came from

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:52 pm 
IP:

thanks , I don't like the idea of buying a dog without ever meet him before.. but here in miami was the only and cheapest option i have... They call me this morning saying that the puppy was going to be at the store around this wednesday. and that the puppy was 11 weeks old... i wanted a 9 weeks maximium...

do you guys think 11 weeks is already too big???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:30 pm 
IP:

victor1390 wrote:
thanks , I don't like the idea of buying a dog without ever meet him before.. but here in miami was the only and cheapest option i have... They call me this morning saying that the puppy was going to be at the store around this wednesday. and that the puppy was 11 weeks old... i wanted a 9 weeks maximium...

do you guys think 11 weeks is already too big???

Our first we got at 11 weeks, and our current two at 13 weeks..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:45 pm 
IP:

rjmeeder wrote:
Reputable breeders will not ship a puppy, and you can find many great breeders with great looking dogs, who you can meet before hand. A breeder will provide you with all the information you need on the breed of dog your getting and what they require. Pet stores almost always get their pups from backyard breeders or puppy mills. Good luck with your new pup!

There are reputable/safe ways to ship puppies, My sister is a top, reputable Labrador breeder for the last 20 years. While shipping is a last resort, she will ship. But she is very picky about how it is done. She will usually try to convince the buyer to pay a little extra so she can afford to deliver it herself, even if she has to drive two days each way. She has actually driven from VA to my house in Jacksonville on more than one occasion to meet with buyers in Florida.

Also while puppy mills really need to be avoided, there are decent, caring back yard breeders that do a reasonable job and are run as well as what would be considered reputable. But by professional standards a breeder is not considered reputable, no matter how professionally the operation is run, if they do not show their dogs.

The two bassets we have now are from a non-showing breeder. I researched breeders of all sorts all over the Eastern half of the US and would not hesitate to buy from this breeder again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:25 pm 
IP:

I believe a breeder is reputable if they are breeding for good conformation, which improves health, and tempermant. They don't have to show their dogs to do this, but in any circumstance you shouldn't buy a pet store puppy. I did not mean shipping as in driving the dog, that is perfectly fine, but many people are willing to actually ship the dogs, and I don't think its right, by the time you get the dog its tempermant may be ruined, just by putting the pup through such a traumatic experience. Also, show dog breeders are a great way to go, these dogs have well put together bodies, and excellent health, which is why there are dog shows, to improve the conformation of the breed. If a person is breeding and is not trying to improve anything, then it is just a business, they are breeding to sell puppies and make money, bottom line.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:27 pm 
IP:

11 weeks isn't too old, some breeders won't even sell a puppy until 3 months.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:02 am 
IP:

I found my beloved basset, Rumpole, at a pet store - he was SIXTEEN WEEKS old, had kennel cough - all in all, not the best contender, but I fell in love with him and considered him a "rescue" despite the hefty price tag. I nursed him to health and he was my wonderful, healthy best friend for ten years when kidney failure claimed him! Of course, I've since learned the downside of pet shops (backyard breeders) and resolved never to buy another at such a venue, having discovered the joys of Rescue For Real! Still, your heart has to go out to those poor babies who find themselves in pet shops, through no fault of their own!

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com