Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:53 am 
IP:

Hi there - I am the devoted slave of Bogey (Humphrey Bogart), a ten year old (at best guess) Rescue from Florida Basset Rescue who came to me less than a month after my beloved Rumpole (Rumpole of the Old Bailey) passed on a year and a half ago. I used to belong to a basset forum when Rumpole was young, long ago (he was only ten) and loved the Basset talk so much, I decided that I needed more of the same! Bogey saved me in so many ways after Rumpole went to the Bridge. He had been in foster care for nearly a year, and - to this day - I have no idea what drew me to the net to search for another hound - I was so wretchedly impacted by Rumpole's unexpected demise - kidney failure - out of the blue! He had always been SO healthy! I was hardly able to set foot in my house afterwards - and slept on a couch at my office. I was totally desolate. Then, along came the BogeyMeister! We bonded instantly, both of us from some sort of sadness, I felt. We've been as one, ever since - and I just wanted to share with others who have the same devoted love for their Bassets. He was a stray, I understand - on the streets of Miami. To this day, I just know he had to have had a 'good family' originally - he is so quiet and obedient, walks on a leash so well - loves children (he is drawn to them whenever we see any on our walks - I think he's looking for "his" kids, still) and is generally a wonderful creature. He doesn't see so well, has a colossal heart murmur and the occasional irritible bowel issues, but we have a good vet and - for the most part - he is comfortable! We have enormous fondness for each other, and though I still see Rumpole at the edge of my peripheral vision, and Kramer (a failed foster dog from Suncoast Basset Rescue whom I was lucky enough to have for three years until mast cell cancer claimed him), who was one of the nicest hounds you ever knew despite all sorts of obsessive behaviors that made him pretty much unadoptable , Bogey and I plan to live out our remaining years together as long as possible! Where would we be without these wonderful creatures, I often wonder! I was never owned by a dog til after my children went away to college, and I can truly say that I love and have loved my furchildren every bit as much (if not a tad more) than any of the kids! They keep us "in the moment", making each day so special and valuable. Thanks for being there to let me rant on - it takes Basset Lovers to understand other Basset Lovers!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

Welcome the forum. Thanks for sharing your story.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com