Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Strangest Behavior?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:19 pm 
IP:

Sophie often picks a pebble from the driveway and sits there, rattling it around in her mouth for...like...a long time. She looks like a bassett bobblehead, shaking the stone around her mouth. Obviously, she's satifying some wierd oral fixation, because she'll close her eyes and let the rest of the world just fade into the background. She especially likes to do this at night, when she's supposed to be out for potties...you'll realize she's been out there for quite a while and find her sitting there like that. So basically, she's a wierdo.

What's your basset's strangest behavior?

[img:240:153]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/1473208114_50e2154560_m.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:24 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

I was reading on another basset forum where a ladies basset had eaten another rock and had to go back to the vet. Wasn't the first time and it was rather expensive bad habit from what I had read.

I can't say mine have any weird habits other than trying pull the air vent off the floor to hide chews and treats.

I do have one that will shred any paper left in the office printer. I forgot I left paper in the printer last night and came down to my office this morning and looked like a paper hurricane came through.

That's more of a bad habit that I haven't been able to break yet.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:37 pm 
IP:

Yogi used to like to bark at the bottom stair. He would go over and dig and bark at it for a few minutes at time. We went in the basement to see if there was something behind the stair but there was nothing behind it! If you look at the puppy pictures post I made you can see the stair the he is on and that is the one he would bark at and he did it for a long time and then one day he stopped. Actually, once in a blue moon he will still do it.
Weird!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:56 pm 
IP:

I would be really concerned Sophie could die by aspirating the pebbles.
She needs to find another safe way to gratify her oral fixation. Keep her safe. That's your job. Basset owners need to know training is so important. Sometimes it is difficult because they are so cute, and seem to have their own agenda!
Sophie is beautiful. JR

Post subject: Re: Strangest Behavior?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 pm 
IP:

Rosebud steals things - not to chew on them or anything, just to have them. I'll be sitting on the couch knitting or something and she'll put her head on the coffee table, watching me watching her, snag something and run away with it. Then she comes back a minute later and does it all over again! It's very rare that she chews whatever she takes, so I think she thinks she's getting one over on me!
h.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 pm 
IP:

Rossi loves to steal my underwear (boys :roll: ). He will sit in front of the dryer when I am doing laundry and wait for a pair to fall out. Forget socks, rags, or anything else...it's all about the underwear for him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:59 pm 
IP:

Ok MayBelle's strangest things she would do was....if I left her alone, she would take all the cushions off the couch, and throw them on the floor, knock over the Lab statue I have on the floor, ( I also have a very life like basset statue, which she would never knock over, but sometimes put her ball in between the front feet of it, like she wanted it to play with her). She one time while staying with Grandma and Grandpa jumped onto the couch and tossed all the cushions onto the floor...grandma got up and put them back on the couch, only to turn around and find May in grandma's chair, that one was toooo funny :lol: If she didn't get her way, she would turn her back to you and turn off her ears, of course for a basset that isn't weird, coz Vern used to do it too. I could go on and on and on....I love the basset's they are always good for a chuckle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:11 pm 
IP:

The first couple of times I let Rossi out in the house while I was gone (the only times I did it), I came home to find all the cushions from the couch on the floor. Now that he has a pal to play with, he doesn't do that anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:06 pm 
IP:

I know a playmate would have been one way to deter her from throwing cushions, but she never ever chewed on them, and I'd just pick them up. She also would put her ball under furniture, and then beller until you got off your duff, and got it for her...I always thought this was her way of getting audience partisipation :lol: She was such a ball hound, she would play 24/7 if I would have played with her.
Well Happy New Year Everyone 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm 
IP:

One of our girls Pii learnt taking socks off as a trick - now we cant get her to stop!

We both now have to wear slippers all the time as she spends ages trying to get our socks off - ever so carefully with the tip of her teeth and she pulls and pulls until she gets them off

I think she needs a new trick!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:02 pm 
IP:

Flash pokes at people, other dogs, kitties, etc., with his nose. I swear, it's like a chicken or something...

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 pm 
IP:

BigBlooDawg wrote:
Flash pokes at people, other dogs, kitties, etc., with his nose. I swear, it's like a chicken or something...

Ah yes, The Beak!!! our old basset, Peanut, did that. She would also use her nose as a battering ram to knock things down, and to try to stop a door from closing if she wanted to go through and is was shutting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:24 pm 
IP:

hig4s wrote:
BigBlooDawg wrote:

Ah yes, The Beak!!! our old basset, Peanut, did that. She would also use her nose as a battering ram to knock things down, and to try to stop a door from closing if she wanted to go through and is was shutting.

This one makes me laugh, MayBelle would butt her head against the bathroom door if you shut it...until I got it fixed, I had to tell visitors to block the door with the cloths hamper. She hated not being in the same room with you...I guess she was afraid she would miss something.
Another thing any basset I have owned could do with that nose, is tell when you ate on the way home....I worked 2 jobs for awile acouple nights a week, and would sometimes grab a snack before going home....both May and Vern could tell you just exactly what I had :lol: Both would turn there back on me until they got something good too. What charactors this breed is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:08 pm 
IP:

imaslave2bassets wrote:
Another thing any basset I have owned could do with that nose, is tell when you ate on the way home....I worked 2 jobs for awile acouple nights a week, and would sometimes grab a snack before going home....both May and Vern could tell you just exactly what I had :lol: Both would turn there back on me until they got something good too. What characters this breed is.

Peanut was always a little hyper when we came in and we would have to sit on the front room futon and pet her to calm her down. She would jump up on the futon, try to give you a kiss on the cheek then roll over and insist you rub her belly, UNLESS you had just come from food, then she would try to shove her nose right in you mouth to see what you had, then she would go stand in front of the pantry and wait for a dog treat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am 
IP:

One of Rossi's nicknames is bulldozer. If there Wilbur or one of the cats is in a dog bed, Rossi likes to run full speed with his nose to the ground and bulldoze the bed until it is completely flipped over and on top of whatever animal was in the bed.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com