Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Basset Names
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:39 pm 
IP:

Everone says we give our bassets strange names but i dont think so.
females- Tiki , Olive , Suzie , Veronica
males - Merlin , Bandit , Beaureguard

Some of our past dogs were - James , Nitro , Droopy , Roux roux (ru-ru) , Shadoux (shadow)

We have two lemon pups in a litter that we call - Yellow Snow & Lemonade

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:21 pm 
IP:

clark0505 wrote:
My two bassets are Lovely Lucy and Ellie May. Bassets are so funny and always getting into some sort of mischief, so we named Lucy after Lucille Ball. "Lucy! You got some explainin to do!" and " Eh Lucy!! I'm Home!"

The new basset we are welcoming home this week is a lemon and white girl. So I was trying to find something lemonish or blonde for her. I thought of Blondie but had a bad experience with a lady who calls herself Blondie on the internet. So I thought of Ellie May on Beverly Hillbillies. Ellie May just has a nice basset ring to it! So Ellie it is!
A friend of mine has Buttercup and Rosebud too. :)

We were planing to get two female bassets, lemon and a black and tan, name Buttercup and Marmalade. But we ended up with a female Red and white, and an all black male. We named them Mercedes and Zatarra, we call them Sadies and Zee except when they are in trouble. They seem to know when we use all three syllables they are in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:34 pm 
IP:

As a child, I always loved the name Lucy. So why not bless my dog with the name? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 pm 
IP:

Hi, im new here but I have had Odie in the past and Missy too now I have Dixie.... that was her name when we got her. not sure if I like it but she seems uninterested answering to it. not sure if I should change it or not. any good suggestions? she is 5 years old so im not sure if its a good idea to change it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:53 pm 
IP:

My Bella was named because when I saw the first pics of her right after she was born...I thought she was a Bella. But everyone thinks it's because of Twilight....but it's really not.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:21 pm 
IP:

We have two male (neutered) Basset brothers. Since they are brothers, I named them after two of my favorite brothers/favorite tv show - Frasier and Niles!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:23 pm 
IP:

we have a little girl named Fred.

My husband always loved Smokey and the Bandit and always said if we got a basset we'd name them Fred. Well he found a breeder and when this litter was available we had 6th pick out of 11 pups. When we got there there was only 2 boys left and we just didn't feel a connection to them but Fred was the only one who had an interest in checking us out and she wasn't as jumpy and nippy as the others so we picked her. When we got in the car and started to leave my husband said "we're still naming her Fred." And she looks like a Fred and she likes the name too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:33 pm 
IP:

jpkeokee wrote:
I would love to get another male one day, if I do get one his name will be Clyde!

Clyde's a good name, it happens to be my dad's name 8) My late basset Vernon, whom I named after my dad's middle name, had a great grand dad with the name Klondike Clyde, I always loved that name.
I also have a new little girl basset, I got her 2 months ago, we named her Matilda Mae. My dad wanted her to be Murtle, but I thaught that rhymed with firtle, and I don't want all the pups. I'll leave that to you breeders. So not to tempt fait, I went with Matilda....she came right to me with the first mention of it
http://i52.tinypic.com/2wqa4m.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 am 
IP:

We named our Basset Forrest for what I feel are obvious reasons. Based on the movie Forrest Gump. You have an individual who by society appears to be a bit slow on the outside, but to everyones surprise he is very intellegant. This is how I view a basset, a bit slow but smarter than hell :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 pm 
IP:

rmnorton wrote:
We named our Basset Forrest for what I feel are obvious reasons. Based on the movie Forrest Gump. You have an individual who by society appears to be a bit slow on the outside, but to everyones surprise he is very intellegant. This is how I view a basset, a bit slow but smarter than hell :D

Aint that the truth...they are so smart. My Uncle Charlie always said, "to train a dog, you have to be smarter then the dog". Some times I wonder with Matilda, am I smarter? She is a charactor.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:07 am 
IP:

when my husband and i saw the pics of this cute male basset, i just immediately suggested the name Elvis. and my husband just loves it even without hearing my reasons. from Elvis Presley lyrics "you ain't nothing but a hound dog crying all the time." Well our Elvis looked like he was crying in all of his photos. and he is a hound dog.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 am 
IP:

I'm loving all these stories. Scarlet is probably tough to beat!! I think folks that choose the basset breed are naturally creative, fun loving people that can enjoy the silliness!

& yes Princess Buttercup was once a commoner like yourselves!

I work at a high school & she gets to join me a few times a week. She's inspiring a new generation to go NetFlix The Princess Bride.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 pm 
IP:

We picked up our basset/dachshund mix puppies 3 weeks ago. I had my heart set on the name Mayberry from the start (Andy Griffiths show reference, North Carolina reference and of course the RASCAL FLATTS reference!). So our girl is Mayberry and is about 4 times smaller than her brother. We named him Copper...we went through several names (and honestly I REALLY liked Huckleberry) but my husband wasn't a fan of that (not being raised in the south like I was). Being children of the late 80's and 90's, we grew up on some of the best Disney movies, including Fox and the Hound. So Copper it was. And it fits him perfectly (being a red basset!). He is more basset-sized and has longer ears and of course the wrinkles, though his ears aren't as long as some of the basset puppy photos I've seen and his wrinkles aren't as extreme. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm 
IP:

Working in a dog kennel i was sick of the usual dog names. And my ex husband had wanted two dogs named normandy and nigel so he could call them n&n, so when we got our first basset a female we called her normandy. Well when the second basset a male came nigel didn' t fit so we decided to stick with wwii battle sites and named him ardennes (ardy) this is the forest where the battle of the buldge took place. After the divorce i kept the dogs and when i got my third basset another male i was going to name him cooter from dukes of hazard but stuck with the theme and chose gembloux (blue) where the france tank battle took place. I think my next basset will be a female and i'm leaning towards midway or omaha.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 am 
IP:

I laughed at the obvious joy you all had in selecting names for your Bassets. My first was RUMPOLE (for Rumpole of the Old Bailey, a curmudgeonly old English Barrister in a sitcom) - I always thought the actor who played Rumpole LOOKED like a Basset Hound! I loved the name, though few people ever GOT it. They thought he was Rumple, or Rumble or even Rumboldt!! My next was KRAMER, who slid into rooms through doorways - from Seinfeld, obviously! And most recently, BOGEY (for Humphrey Bogart). He is a Rescue, about ten years old, and the foster Mom called him BOOGIE, which I thought was a bit undignified though he does boogie dance, sweeping his head from side to side in glorious dips while he swings his lovely bum back and forth in anticipation of going outside! I knew, given my neighbour's inability to figure out Rumpole's name, that Boogie would become Booger before I knew it, so Bogey he is! Lovely boy! I've never had a female, but would probable call her Hermione, if I did.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com