Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: cooking for my basset
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 pm 
IP:

I want to try cooking for my pup, but I dont know how to judge which recipe is a good one. Can someone please offer some guidance or maybe a recipe they use? Thanks in advance.

Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm 
IP:

recipes. is it for treats? such as liver cake etc???

Rabbit Stew anyone???!!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:55 am 
IP:

Doesnt matter really I just want to cook him something. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:34 pm 
IP:

dgonzales811 wrote:
Doesnt matter really I just want to cook him something. :)

They need good lean meat for protein, and most fruits and veggies are good for them. We generally just leave dry dog food and water down all the time and share with our dogs what we cook for ourselves, which is generally low fat, low salt. They quickly get to the point where they eat very little dog food. There are things that are bad for dogs,, We just avoid giving them any food we make for ourselves that has anything bad for them in it. Corn is often debated about, but generally dogs cannot digest corn. Also onions, garlic, and tomatoes are not really good for dogs.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 9&aid=1030

Some people will say all human food is bad for dogs. !!! Fresh lean meat is fresh lean meat. Just avoid fatty foods, which you should be avoiding for yourself anyway, and dogs need more meat protein than fruits and veggies. Humans need more fruits and veggies than meat protein. (although most humans don't eat that way)

Some will say all dogs are lactose intolerant. !!!! some adults are some aren't just like humans.

Some will say all nuts are bad for dogs. Some are some aren't, you need to know your nuts. Macadamia nuts are very bad for dogs, and cashews are high in fat. unsalted peanuts are fine, but don't let them eat the shells.

I've seen people say onions are bad but garlic is good for dogs.. Both have the same chemicals in them that are bad for red blood cells. Garlic has less but still has it.

If this is all too confusing, and you decide to stick to dog food, remember most dog foods are made from stuff unfit for human consumption!!! Probably not so good for dogs either.

here is a site that rates dog foods.
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

we use Kirkland, which isn't a great food, but is way better than any Purina, Iams, or Hill's brand and cheaper too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am 
IP:

I don't cook for my dogs, but I give them scraps of lettuce and an occasional carrot. I typically don't give them meat unless it happens to fall on the floor. I will throw them a piece of boneless chicken every now and then. I don't remember the name of the dog food I have, but it only has two ingredients...lamb (80%) and rice (20%). I mostly started buying this for my Boston Terrier because they are known to have horrible gas and most brands of dog food make it worse. I buy it at a small local pet store. I will not buy dog food from any large chain stores such as Walmart or Petco.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com