Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:01 am 
IP:

Our Basset hound a whopping 15 pups! So far 2 have passed both as a result of her laying on top of them. Just checked on them and I do not thing the runt of the bunch is going to make it, every time I check on her she is laying off to her self. We have tried bottle feeding her and everthing but she just can't keep her temp up. In all she had 11 females and 4 males. Has anyone else had a basset have this many babies?

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:26 am 
IP:

Ours had 11 about 9 weeks ago, 8 females and 3males.
I thought that was alot , but never heard of one having 15 WOW thats alot of pups!!!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm 
IP:

Holy heaven, that's a ton! :shock:

Good luck with your gorgeous pups!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am 
IP:

Well I hate it but she had 6 pups to pass. One was the runt and only weighed 4 ounces! The other 5 she laid on. This was her first litter so I believe she was just having trouble figuring things out. The pups we do have are all sorts of colors. We have 3 lemon/white 1male 2females, 3 brown/white all females, and 3 tri-colors 2 males, and 1 female.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 pm 
IP:

Mothering does not necessarily come naturally to domestic animals and they need to be watched closely, and after you lost two to her laying on them you should have had the mother under constant surveillance to prevent losing any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:28 pm 
IP:

That is easy to say but when you have two small kids to tend to and your husband works 12 hour shifts you can not sit with her the dog 24 hours a day. The first one she laid when she was giving birth, which was when I was not home. The other two was while I was asleep. I did what I could to prevent this from happening. When she was down to 14 I would alternate them. She would only have 5 puppies at a time. We bottle fed and everything. Guess it was just mother natures way of saying it was too much for her to handle. All 9 of the babies she has now are doing excellent. And yes it was her first litter but she seems to be an excellent mother.

"Mothering does not necessarily come naturally to domestic animals and they need to be watched closely, and after you lost two to her laying on them you should have had the mother under constant surveillance to prevent losing any more."

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm 
IP:

jpkeokee wrote:
That is easy to say but when you have two small kids to tend to and your husband works 12 hour shifts you can not sit with her the dog 24 hours a day.

If you knew you would not have the time to commit to it, . . . ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:29 pm 
IP:

I did what I could. 15 was way to many for her to have to take care of.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:43 pm 
IP:

jpkeokee wrote:
I did what I could. 15 was way to many for her to have to take care of.

She is a domestic animal you decided to breed, they were not her responsibility. Hopefully you have learned just how hard this can be and will not breed here again unless you have the time and help to do it without losing any pups due to her carelessness.

Of course if your think of them as just dogs, so you are not going to worry about it, then nothing I say will matter anyway. So this is the last I will post in this thread.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com