Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 am 
IP:

Fred is almost 5 months and the past week has been (for lack of a better term) a complete a#@ ! She never listens to my husband and he never tells her to do anything so ofcourse she loves him. However I am the one who is working on training and she has refused to do any commands for me this past week. She is just being completely unruly. So do thry go through different stages and try to test their owners at different ages. Nothing has really changed, except because of her behavior she's not allowed to lay in bed with us because she starts biting and mouthing and barking at us if we aren't paying attention to her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:35 pm 
IP:

Just about every dog does, no matter the breed... Mine went through rebelious stages, usually around 6 months and a year. You just have to have a lot of patience and make training fun. Research positive reinforcement and clicker training, works wonderfully for most Basset Hounds and may help you get through her rebelious-teen stage quicker.

If she starts to mouth at you, put her on the floor and ignore her. A crate would be a lot better. Dogs shouldn't sleep with their owners UNLESS they know who is alpha (you)... until she is older and respects you more, keep her crated at night. If you ignore her mouthing and continue to let her sleep with you, it may become territorial and she'll only allow certain people near/on HER bed.....

My dogs weren't allowed to sleep with me until they were atleast 2 years old and fully obedience trained. If I didn't want them on my bed, I'd tell them off and they'd listen, not snap at my hand and ignore my commands like they would if they got to sleep in my bed from day 1. They respect me. I enter/leave doors before they do, I eat before they do, I get in the bed before they do, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:57 pm 
IP:

Angela wrote:
Just about every dog does, no matter the breed... Mine went through rebelious stages, usually around 6 months and a year. You just have to have a lot of patience and make training fun. Research positive reinforcement and clicker training, works wonderfully for most Basset Hounds and may help you get through her rebelious-teen stage quicker.

If she starts to mouth at you, put her on the floor and ignore her. A crate would be a lot better. Dogs shouldn't sleep with their owners UNLESS they know who is alpha (you)... until she is older and respects you more, keep her crated at night. If you ignore her mouthing and continue to let her sleep with you, it may become territorial and she'll only allow certain people near/on HER bed.....

My dogs weren't allowed to sleep with me until they were atleast 2 years old and fully obedience trained. If I didn't want them on my bed, I'd tell them off and they'd listen, not snap at my hand and ignore my commands like they would if they got to sleep in my bed from day 1. They respect me. I enter/leave doors before they do, I eat before they do, I get in the bed before they do, etc.

You should read this. http://k9domain.org/alpha_theory.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:34 pm 
IP:

hig4s wrote:
Angela wrote:

I don't use dominance training or negative training... I wasn't exactly being literal when I said "alpha". I don't do alpha rolls and all that crap, I use clickers and only positive reinforcement. However, I make my sure my dogs know that I am in control, not them. I'm the hand that feeds em. The dog needs to respect you, and know you're boss. Let a dog control you and you're just asking for disaster. Let a dog rule the bed, and you'll be having people get bit. The dog gets the idea that THEY rule that bed, and THEY control who goes on it.

I've raised many many dogs and never had any issues. I don't need to read anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:14 pm 
IP:

Angela wrote:
hig4s wrote:
Angela wrote:

I don't use dominance training or negative training... I wasn't exactly being literal when I said "alpha". I don't do alpha rolls and all that crap, I use clickers and only positive reinforcement. However, I make my sure my dogs know that I am in control, not them. I'm the hand that feeds em. The dog needs to respect you, and know you're boss. Let a dog control you and you're just asking for disaster. Let a dog rule the bed, and you'll be having people get bit. The dog gets the idea that THEY rule that bed, and THEY control who goes on it.

I've raised many many dogs and never had any issues. I don't need to read anything.

That is not exactly correct,, I ran a kennel for several years over twentyfive years ago. And my younger sister has been running her kennel and showing dogs for 23 years. She is part owner of the top Labrador in Canada, has several champions here in the US, and was one year rated a top 10 breeder by AKC. For someone of your age (I believe you mentioned your age in your first post) or for anyone to say they don't need to read anything is tremendously arrogant.

It is always beneficial to keep learning. If you didn't read the whole article I really think you should.

And if you are making sure they know you are in control, you are are the boss, you are using dominance training.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com