Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 am 
IP:

I got a basset little over a year ago and hearing from friens and family how calm they are and laid back but she is the most energetic dog I've ever had or seen. I love her to death and she seems to enjoy bugging and pushing around my other dogs (all dachshunds) that are older. think she just tries to get them to play with her. so I guess is there other owners that have a really energetic basset and have any ideas or ways to get them to calm down later on at night? Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
IP:

Generally people that tell you that bassets are calm, don't have one. They do not require as much exercise as many other breeds, and do sleep a lot, but when not sleeping, they are very energetic and there is not much you can do except give them outlets for it.

That is why, when our first basset passed away, we bought two so they can wear each other out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:24 pm 
IP:

Agreed... people who say they are lazy, HAVE NEVER OWNED ONE!! They are not couch potatos. Mine go hiking, swimming, and chase each other around the yard in the summer, autumn, and spring EVERY DAY. They are usually active for 4+ hours EVERY DAY when the weather is nice. When they come inside, they take a few naps and are ready to go again. They spend an hour or more wrestling in the house. In the winter time, they hop through the snow and then they wrestle inside a ton. Not lazy dogs at all, unless you're comparing it to a hyperactive dog such as a Border Collie. In my experience, they have equal energy levels as your average dog. Mine have no issues keeping up with my Australian Shepherd mix. They enjoy long naps... but after they wake up, they're ready to go go go. The way I deal with it is keep them busy. My dogs all receive training, about 10 minutes every day (I usually break it up throughout the day). Gives them mental stimulation. Then I exercise them. It's really all you can do from keeping them driving you bonkers.

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com