Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 am 
IP:

I've read websites and books, but what I really want is the deep down and dirty info from realy basset owners!

my friend is going to be fostering two bassets next week for 6 months so I will get to spend alot of time with them and they will be coming to stay at mine for a week in april. But apparently these pair are ''everything a basset is not meant to be'' they are quiet, the female has 100% recall...

I know bassets are not the couch potatoes everyone thinks they are. I know they are masters at counter surfing and stealing food if they can, I know they will do almost anything for food, and I know that they cant swim well.
I know they get noisy if left long, that they are great with children and other pets due to being a pack animal.

What else can you tell me?

I'd love to have a tricolour female. I have emailed a breeder nearish me and she is going to give me a call soon, but sounds hopeful so far!

Also.... what sort of price might I expect to pay in the UK for a KC reg'd pup from a responsible breeder (health tests etc)? I was prepared for the 4-6ish hundred for the GSD but I've no idea what to expect here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:06 pm 
IP:

divadexie wrote:
I've read websites and books, but what I really want is the deep down and dirty info from realy basset owners!

my friend is going to be fostering two bassets next week for 6 months so I will get to spend alot of time with them and they will be coming to stay at mine for a week in april. But apparently these pair are ''everything a basset is not meant to be'' they are quiet, the female has 100% recall...

I know bassets are not the couch potatoes everyone thinks they are. I know they are masters at counter surfing and stealing food if they can, I know they will do almost anything for food, and I know that they cant swim well.
I know they get noisy if left long, that they are great with children and other pets due to being a pack animal.

What else can you tell me?

I'd love to have a tricolour female. I have emailed a breeder nearish me and she is going to give me a call soon, but sounds hopeful so far!

Also.... what sort of price might I expect to pay in the UK for a KC reg'd pup from a responsible breeder (health tests etc)? I was prepared for the 4-6ish hundred for the GSD but I've no idea what to expect here.

Well,, they actually are couch potatoes, when they aren't being wild. At least everyone we've had is that way.. Sort of an on/off personality, with not much in between. One minute they will be doing laps around the house, what we call the basset 500, next it will be WFBW, World Federation Basset Wrestling. And then almost in mid cavort they will stop and take a nap.

The ones we have had have all been the sweetest and most loving dogs we have ever had. Obviously just from looking at them you can tell they are cute and goofy, but the depth of cuteness and goofiness can be surprising. If you can live with the fact they can be a little hard to train, they often don't pay attention unless there is something in it for them, they are fantastic companions.

Fortunately they respond almost as well to loving attention as they do to food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 am 
IP:

I did smile when you said they can't swim well.

Watson loves water and will happily swim in the sea, unlike his sister who is a labrador and hates getting her hair wet!

We have to keep him out of the water now due to ear problems, but before that he was straight in.

You also asked for prices in the UK. I think we paid about £800 for him about 5 years ago. That was from an excellent breeder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:50 am 
IP:

Rebecca wrote:
I did smile when you said they can't swim well.

Watson loves water and will happily swim in the sea, unlike his sister who is a labrador and hates getting her hair wet!

well bassets have about the heaviest bone structure compared to their size of any dog, and with short legs, it is much more difficult for them to swim, and some just cannot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 pm 
IP:

hig4s wrote:
well bassets have about the heaviest bone structure compared to their size of any dog, and with short legs, it is much more difficult for them to swim, and some just cannot.

Well, 2 of the 3 I have owned have been extremely good swimmers and very keen to get in the water.

Any one else have a swimming basset?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm 
IP:

Rebecca wrote:
hig4s wrote:

Well, 2 of the 3 I have owned have been extremely good swimmers and very keen to get in the water.

Any one else have a swimming basset?

We have not let ours try yet, but our male hates the water anyway and won't even get close to the water. Our female keeps watching the other dogs, sooner or later I think she will try.. Hopefully she will be able to swim so I won't have to go in after her..

I do have a friend who's basset cannot swim at all, he keeps diving in the koi pond after the fish and always sinks to the bottom and has to be rescued.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 am 
IP:

hig4s wrote:
We have not let ours try yet, but our male hates the water anyway and won't even get close to the water. Our female keeps watching the other dogs, sooner or later I think she will try.. Hopefully she will be able to swim so I won't have to go in after her..

I do have a friend who's basset cannot swim at all, he keeps diving in the koi pond after the fish and always sinks to the bottom and has to be rescued.

Some bassets really do love it, others don't. It is worth establishing whether they are swimmers or not if you take them on walks where there is an risk of water. I took my two old bassets to a proper dog swimming pool when Monty had slipped a disc. He has always loved swimming and of course the water offered ideal support for exercising his body and building up the strength in his back again.

Basil, my other basset, swam like a brick. :lol: He had to have floats before he was buoyant in the water. It really wasn't his thing. So he used to stand on the side and watch whilst Monty had a whale of a time.

Watson is totally fearless in water. As we have learnt much to our horror. He jumped into a fast flowing river once and was tossed round and round by the current. We dragged him out only to find him charging down the bank to try and get back in again. He obviously thought it was a right lark. Can't say we were that amused. :shock: He will also swim in rough water in the sea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm 
IP:

I tested the myth in shallow water that Bassets cannot swim, and Rossi can swim extremely well, but he doesn't like to get in unless there is a stick in the water, and even then will more than likely howl at the stick rather than swim out to get it. Because I am not a very good swimmer, I'm happy to just let him sniff the beach.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:50 am 
IP:

I used to spend hours with my old basset throwing a stick into the water for him to fetch. When he eventually got bored (which took ages) he would look at the stick floating away from him and then look back at me, as if to say "I'm tired now, but I want the stick, you go and get it!" :lol:

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com