Welcome to the Bassets Unlimited Message Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm 
IP:

Today one of my basset's paws were bleeding and my friend approached it to pet it, his paw was bleeding a bit and when my friend approached to pet him, my dog growled and bit him and then did nothing. He did not break the skin but caused a bruise to appear. My dog has never ever been aggressive with me or bitten me. He is 2 years and 6 months old. I got him 5 months ago from a couple who were giving him away for free to a good home as "they didnt have the time for him". He was in a very small pen all day and all night until we took him. We also have another basset and they rarely fight if ever. We never have hurt him and he LOVES attention. He was once hit by a car and until he recovered he was very nervous around people for a while. I cant understand why he did this and I am very concerned. Please help me out. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm 
IP:
Site Admin

I'd be willing to bet that the issue was his hurt paw -- defensive reaction to having hurt paw when someone trying to pet him --- You say this dog was hit by a car and was nervous around people afterwards, so I'd say the dog has reactions to people when dealing with pain.

Trying to pet an injured dog is not smart............and trying to pet the injury is even dumber. If I was a dog, I would have bit him too.

I had a Basset in the vet's last month for heartworm test. While she was drawing blood from the leg, I held his head - the reason I held his head was so he could not turn and bite the vet in reaction to the pain from the needle in his leg as it would have been a defensive reaction in dealing with the pain.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:42 am 
IP:

Staff wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that the issue was his hurt paw -- defensive reaction to having hurt paw when someone trying to pet him --- You say this dog was hit by a car and was nervous around people afterwards, so I'd say the dog has reactions to people when dealing with pain.

Trying to pet an injured dog is not smart............and trying to pet the injury is even dumber. If I was a dog, I would have bit him too.

I had a Basset in the vet's last month for heartworm test. While she was drawing blood from the leg, I held his head - the reason I held his head was so he could not turn and bite the vet in reaction to the pain from the needle in his leg as it would have been a defensive reaction in dealing with the pain.

So do you think this is acceptable behaviour? Is there any real threat of him becoming vicious or aggresive?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 am 
IP:
Site Admin

Let me put it this way. The Basset that I had the bloodwork done on was my 9 years old hound............The dog is very sweet and non aggressive. He handles this hound himself.

The vet asked me to hold his head while drawing blood......I reckon she has done enough dogs over the years to know that when causing pain doing procedures, some dog's defensive reation is turn and bite.

Is it is acceptable aggression? No aggression is acceptable, but defensive aggression as the result of pain is understandable. If one of my dog is hurt and I touch it and they react aggressively, I am the opinion of their reaction is to the pain is explainable and tolerable only for that fact.

Let me explain - If I broke my arm, last thing I would want is someone one feeling on it and touching it and my reaction to the pain would be to be forcefully push the hands away that was causing me more pain. LOL, heck, I have done that to many docs over the years when they asked "Does this hurt" when dealing with sports injuries.

A dog is going to react to pain as well and their defensive way is to turn and bite.

Anytime a dog is injured and especialy when you see blood, is approach the situation with caution. Years ago, a car in front of me hit an at loose dog on the road. We stopped to check on the dog where we could see hip damage. Within 5 foot of walking to the dog, she began to growl. Her owners came to the scene as she got out of an open fence and she started to growl as they approached and would try to lean back and bite while growling at them when they were trying to check the extent of her injuries as well.

BU Staff Member

Profile  WWW

PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy   Pet Street Mall   Dog.com   Animal Den - Gift Shop for Dog Lovers!   DogToys.com - Toys, Treats and gifts for pet   Petco.com